What does success mean for you?
It can mean so many different things, but the one common meaning is that success is personal.
This question was once asked to a group of employees I was a part of (many years ago!) and the astounding thing to me (to a young 20 year old) was every single person had a different answer! I actually couldn't believe it. However, as a 20 year old (of course I knew it all back then) this came as a shock and something that has taken me (gulp) almost 2 decades to grasp and appreciate.
Success is simply the achievement of anything you set your heart on!
Alot of members who start their journey with TSDA, have the goal "of getting their Black Belt". A great goal, definitely. However there are many mini milestones before that "big" goal. No one can come to one, two or a few classes and be awarded their Black Belt. It takes classes upon weeks upon months upon years to achieve that status.
So why do people give up before they achieve their goal? Whether they give up before getting their Black Belt, or whether it is another goal, there are a number of reasons why a goal isn't accomplished.
1. Obtacles Stop Them ~ ie "Things" Happen - that's life, unfortunately! Things will pop up ALL THE TIME. What is going to determine whether that goal seems further away or if at all achievable, is HOW you respond to the obstacle or challenge. Sure, give yourself a short amount of time to process the challenge, but then do something about it! Which leads me to my next point.
2. Action! Any goal - no matter how big or small - cannot be achieved by doing NOTHING! You need to ACT! Even small steps add up to leaps and bounds. So what are you waiting for?
3. Failing to Plan - another reason a goal may not be achieved is, there is no plan! You may be acting, you may be taking steps but are they the steps you need to achieve your desired goal?
4. The hard decisions can't be made. If you were the person you needed to be right now in order to have that goal, you would already be there or have it, no? Some hard decisions, around who you are, may need to be made in order for the goal to be achieved, some that you may not be comfortable with. I can reassure you, however, that if that goal is worth achieving, the person you will BECOME along the way will be an improved version of you, and you will have done what you set out to do!
5. Stopping just short - Being in the fitness industry for 18 years has allowed me to watch many people achieve great fitness and health goals. And also witness a lot fall short, just when they were about to "make" it. The key to acheving anything is persistance!! You have to trust in the process and just keep going, no matter how hard it gets, no matter what obstacles and challenges pop up! Keep going, because you really don't know how close you are, and why would you stop when you might almost be there?
These can be summed up by the formula for success:
Success = Think + Idea + Try + Act + Act Again +(Possible Obstacle) + Act Again + Keep Acting!
Take it into whatever goal or goals you are currently working on! And please share your successes - or challenges with us - we'd love to hear them!